Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Feline Felicity

This is my cat, Buster.  

We call him The General, or the War Beast, for his prowess as a hunter of all things small and furry or feathery, and for his general toughness and tenacity when it comes to claiming and maintaining his territory.  Nobody messes with his Royal Fightyness.

He's your typical Rum Tum Tugger cat (and if you don't know Rum Tum Tugger, then you need to make the acquaintance of a little book called "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats", by T.S. Eliot.  I recommend the version illustrated by Edward Gorey).  In essence he's Mr. Unsatisfied.  If he's in, he wants out.  If he's up, he wants down.  If you're busy, he wants a love, but if you have time for him, he wants nothing to do with you.  You get the idea.

He also has the uncanny ability to settle wherever it's most inconvenient for his humans; on my newspaper, my keyboard or mousepad, my book, etc.  His favorite sleeping place is on the legs of his humans whilst we're trying to sleep.  It's almost like it's a game for him to see how weirdly contorted we can sleep or to see how much of the bed he can conquer and claim in one night.  Currently he's sprawled out on my bed right about where my knees should be, making it hard for me to hold my laptop on my lap properly to write.  This, after he stole my spot next to my pillow while I was gone for just a minute.  I should mention that the Mr. is on a business trip right now so there is no reason for my cat to be crowding me in this fashion.  He has the whole rest of the bed that he could sprawl on and claim.  

So, why haven't I kicked him off the bed yet?  Did I mention that the Mr. is away on business? At night is when it's most lonely to have him gone, so it's nice to have some quiet company to provide a little comfort.  Even if he is clingy and has cat food breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment