Friday, August 21, 2009

Another piece of the puzzle

I actually started this post last week and I've been working it over in my mind for a few days now.  I needed to come back to it because I just couldn't seem to get it right.  I think I've got it now.  Maybe.

My book club met here last night and I have to say a few words about it because it was like a puzzle piece fitting snugly into place in the right way at the right time in my life.  I can't not write about it.

We read Viktor Frankl's book, Man's Search for Meaning, and it's about his own experiences in the concentration camps of World War II and how it applies to his theories of logotherapy.  On the surface it sounds depressing at worst and dry text bookish at best.  However, I found it to be compelling and inspiring.  In a nutshell (if it's even possible to boil it down) his point is that we as human beings must have meaning or purpose in our lives; as long as we have that meaning or purpose then we can survive even the most miserable and horrifying of experiences.  He quotes Nietzsche: "He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how."  When we lose sight of our whys then we start to have difficulty coping with all the hows in our lives.  This is precisely what I have been working on lately; I've realized that in many ways I have lost sight of my "why's".  I'm too caught up in the survival of it all.  It's one of the reasons I started this blog.  I was trying to remind myself of all the "why's" in my life.  To connect with the meanings that give my life purpose and direction.

  The second point he makes is that even when we have nothing left, circumstances are totally out of our control, we do still have one thing.  We ultimately have the ability to choose how we respond, whether we allow our circumstances to control us or whether we are able to turn them into personal triumph.  It really does boil down to our own attitude, it can make or break us.  Which may sound like an easy answer, but in the day to day living that can be very hard.  It was a reminder that I needed.  And, to come full circle, I think when we appreciate the "why's" of our lives and focus on them with greater purpose, we are more able to master our attitudes and achieve that personal triumph he speaks of.

Frankl says it more beautifully and profoundly than I ever could, but these were ideas and concepts that have been simmering in the back of my mind for some time now.  It was one of those rare moments of harmony when external and internal life connect in a more meaningful way.  

There are things in this book that we all need to be reminded of from time to time.  Which is why this book is now on my list of rotating reads, the ones I return to often because they have become dear friends.  We learn something new from them every time we visit with them and we always come away richer for the experience.  I'm always excited to find another friend to keep handy on my shelf, ready for a visit whenever the mood strikes.  

So, welcome to my collection, Mr. Frankl, I believe you'll be around for a good long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment