Saturday, August 8, 2009

Are we there yet?


We took a short camping trip to Big Bear this weekend.  What crazy person invented camping as a "vacation".  A vacation from what?  What other vacations require you to haul lodging, bedding, food, kitchen, and clothing all for a short trip to the woods?  And, then once there you must erect your own shelter and kitchen, cook all your food with the barest of essentials, protect said food from furry beasts with big fangs and claws, and hike for five minutes to get to the nearest restroom "facilities" (don't forget your flashlight at 2am!).

Now I sit here trying not move so my muscles won't scream in protest.  I'm also trying to ignore the pile of laundry that smells like campfire, and the scattered bits of equipment that still need to be put away.  So was it worth it?  All this work and effort?





Well, this was our view yesterday:








And, as we were on the peak I was able to watch my daughter overcome her fear and climb a boulder with her friends.  She didn't think she could, and she trembled and worried, but she did it.  I was proud of her.  



I also got to enjoy a delicious dinner cooked over a grill, seasoned by fire, fresh air, and the scent of pine.  












For some reason s'mores always taste better in the mountains with a chill in the air and smoke in your eyes.  I had three.  

Last night while the lantern made the tent glow, Daddy told two sleepy bears a bedtime story just for them.

This morning I woke up and had a warm snuggle with my little girl and we giggled and laughed together before rolling out into the cold fresh air and huddled around the fire before breakfast.

The time and planning along with the work to shelter and feed us brought me into the immediacy of the moment.  The sights of nature and family at play, the sounds of animals and children laughing, and the smells of pine, smoke, and freshly cooked food were all made sharper by the lack of distraction.  So, while I feel weary of body, my spirit feels renewed and strengthened for the struggle.  We did it.  So yes.  Yes, it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment