Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What's in a name?


In my previous post I mentioned Cherry Hill House.  


“What's that?” you say. 


It's the name I've decided to give my house.  


“Why name a house?” you say.  


I'm tempted to flippantly answer, "Because I can."  

Or more accurately, "Because it's mine."


I've always been attracted to the idea of living in a place so distinct that it has its’ own unique name.  Being an incurable anglophile, I swoon for estate names like Althorp, Chartwell, Osborne House, and Kedleston Hall.  As a lover of books, I dream of places like Pemberley, Mansfield Park, Thornfield, or yes, even Hogwarts.


But, I've decided that even though it's not a noble estate surrounded by gracious grounds, or the setting for great events, my little house is actually quite special. It's a special place because we have made it so.  


When we purchased this house a few months ago it was a bit of a disaster.  Abandoned and neglected for more than three years, it was dirty, dilapidated, and seriously outdated. We looked past the exterior flaws and fell in love with the layout, the yard, the location, the trees, the sheer potential of it all.  We spent a month cleaning, scraping, patching and painting, carpeting and planning.  We didn’t finish all the projects we had planned, nor do we have the time or money to get it all done in the immediate future, but by our own sweat, blood, and yes, tears, we have truly made this house ours.  


Therefore, I christened it Cherry Hill House.  


Cherry, for the bright red cherries I love; I use them in decorating, I love to eat them, they are sweet and tart all in one (a bit like me), and they are cheerful - just like I want our family and memories in this house to be.  


Hill, for the hill the house sits on, and for the Hill (me, Hill-ary) who is keeper of the hearth here.  Cherry Hill is also a place in Utah, where I’m from and where our family lived and was begun.  


House, because it’s neither a grand palace, manor house or hall, nor a cottage, cabin, or farm; it’s simply a house, a place for a family to live and to grow.  


I love my little home.  I feel like it’s a bit like me at this stage in my life; not so new, falling apart just a little bit, and a work in progress, but (hopefully!) great potential lurking in the corners.  A place and a person in transition, with great expectations for the coming days.  And, we're getting there, one step and one project at a time.


Now, back to work!


I found this little gem while I was looking around at house names.  I couldn’t resist it!


On Naming a House

(by Christopher Morley) 


WHEN I a householder became

I had to give my house a name.


I thought I'd call it "Poplar Trees,"

Or "Widdershins" or "Velvet Bees,"

Or "Just Beneath a Star."

Or "As You Like It," "If You Please,"

Or "Nicotine" or "Bread and Cheese,"

"Full Moon" or "Doors Ajar."


But still I sought some subtle charm,

Some rune to guard my roof from harm

And keep the devil far;

A thought of this, and I was saved!

I had my letter-heads engraved

The House Where Brown Eyes Are.

No comments:

Post a Comment